This fund is designed for people who want their donations to have a transformational impact upon the lives of recipients. Charities in this fund target preventable blindness, chronic malnutrition that leads to permanent cognitive and physical disability and inadequate access to health care. Transforming a life is an amazing gift for both the recipient and the donor!
There are numerous types of effective interventions that transform the lives of people living in extreme poverty. Our “transform lives” fund addresses three of them: inadequate access or knowledge of health services; chronic malnutrition; and sight impairment or blindness.
- Billions of people worldwide are at risk of contracting a life-threatening disease because they don’t have access to health services or are unaware of safe health practices. Read more about Improving Health & Fighting Infectious Disease.
- Chronic malnutrition threatens the health and development of a third of the world’s population, especially pregnant women and children. Read more: End Hunger & Malnutrition.
- Nearly 90% of the one billion people affected with preventable or treatable blindness live in the developing world. When you donate to effective health advancing charities, you’re helping to transform lives. Read more: Prevent Blindness & Restore Sight
Currently, funds raised will be evenly distributed among charity recipients.
Our Giving Strategy
Our charity evaluation framework explains why and how our team identifies and evaluates recommended charities. Our framework seeks to be:
- Focused: We focus on problems that are important, tractable, and neglected amongst people living in extreme poverty.
- Adaptive: We consider a wide range of solutions and organizations with diverse strategies to achieve impact.
- Practical: We identify the most cost-effective charities, and encourage the greatest number of people to donate.
- Data-driven: We draw on the best possible evidence available to estimate the impact of each charity.
The Transform Lives Fund serves to advance life-changing interventions to improve lives substantially, including:
- Repairing obstetric fistula, a devastating childbirth injury often caused by inadequate access to proper medical care or contraception, that leaves women with chronic pain, incontinence, and often shunned by their communities.1
- Supporting nutrient fortification, including iodine and micronutrients2, to prevent intellectual and developmental impairment from deficiencies.
- Restoring sight by identifying and treating vision impairment—including blindness—through accessible eye care, operations, treatments, and medications.3
2Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (iodine), Iodine Global Network (iodine), Sanku (micronutrients in flour)
3The Fred Hollows Foundation, Seva
Our research and evaluation team works to recommend high impact investments. Contact us if you would like to know more.
- Anna Demant – Advisor, Research and Evaluation
- Bilal Siddiqi – Advisor, Research and Evaluation
- Matias Nestore – Associate, Research and Evaluation
- Katie Stanford – Research & Business Intelligence Manager